Name:
Location: Metro Phoenix, Arizona, United States

I'm too lazy to type anything about me. Read my blog and I'm sure you'll eventually learn a few things.

Thursday, April 12, 2007

Time for the Weekend

My work week has ended. To those who still have to work on Thursday and Friday, I laugh derisively in your general direction.

In my last post (I think), I mentioned an Indian couple who committed suicide after their dog died. Well, in another case of idiotic suicide, a minister commits it after being awake during surgery. Suicide is a foolish thing to begin with, but a minister, of all people, should know better.

Also updating something from my last post, more on Hillary's supposed effort to join the Marines here and here.

As for people making up stories, Ford's CEO is not immune from the problem. Of course, his "joke" never made much sense to begin with.

The different meanings of Al Gore.

Dennis Kucinich wonders why, when supply goes down and demand goes up, prices go up. At least half (and probably three-quarters) of Congress could really use a remedial economics class.

Fred Thompson announced he has cancer
. The headline looked bad when I saw it, but with Thompson calling the cancer "
a good kind if you can ever call something like that a good kind," my worries quickly abated. I went from thinking "he's out" as far as the presidential race goes when seeing the headline to "he's in" after reading the article. It's smoething he'd need to announce before running, and seeing that more people with that type die of old age than of anything relating to the cancer, it shouldn't be a big deal. Given the unimpressiveness of the rest of the GOP field, I am currently most interesting in supporting Thompson (Fred, not Tommy). That, of course, could change after aking a harder look at him, much as my interest in Huckabee waned.

The ESPN baseball fantasy game is undergoing a fix, as outlined in this note:
In order to address the issues we have been experiencing and restore your ability to play, we will be performing updates on ESPN Fantasy Baseball from Wednesday, April 11th at 8:00 PM ET through Thursday, April 12th at 8:00 AM ET. During this time the game will be unavailable. The steps we are taking will get the game back on track and ensure the integrity of the season will result in the following:

1) Revert all teams to their opening day rosters (Sunday, April 1).
2) Set the starting lineup of each team's opening day roster as the active roster for all games played to date (April 1 - April 11).
3) Retroactively apply scoring for the entire season to date based on that roster.
4) Void all transactions to date (trades, waiver pickups, roster moves, etc.).

Following these changes, all players not on a roster will be placed on waivers for 24 hours, and the waiver order for each league will be restored to where it was on Opening Day.

We have been working around the clock to fix the problems we are having to make the fantasy season the best it can be. We appreciate your patience.

This seems, well, dumb. Voiding all trades, ignoring whoever was put in or taken out of lineups (especially important when it comes to pitchers), and general all-around no-goodness. They've successfully hit upon just about the worst solution they could have gone with. Bravo, gentlemen. While they did have issues with roster spots being inappropriately locked, this was more of a temporary problem each night (except the first one, when it lasted nearly until play started on the second full day of the regular season), so I see no reason not to go with the stats each team had rightfully earned up until that point. Sure, some people may have wanted to edit their roster for that second day and didn't get the chance, but they're not getting the chance with this outcome, either. I find this "fix" to be far more disruptive of the game than the initial problem was.

I have been referred, once again, to the red button, so I pass it along.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dr Chemist said...

I am glad I don't have any teams in the ESPN system.

Thu Apr 12, 07:26:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home