Name:
Location: Metro Phoenix, Arizona, United States

I'm too lazy to type anything about me. Read my blog and I'm sure you'll eventually learn a few things.

Monday, April 02, 2007

2007 Baseball Season Preview and Predictions

It's time for my annual look ahead for the upcoming baseball season, and the random predictions that come with it.

ESPN ran some of their "expert" predictions and projected standings, and also projected standings based on the Diamond Mind software. Some odd predictions in there, including Rob Neyer predicting the Diamondbacks into the World Series. Now, I like Rob's work, but Dbacks in the Series? I don't think so. John Shea predicts an all-Chicago World Series on the 100th anniversary of the other one, but with a different result.

My projections for division winners:
AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Twins
AL West: Angels
NL East: Phillies
NL Central: Cubs
NL West: Giants

Yeah, they're a bit eccentric. As for the wild card teams, I'll say .... Indians and Dodgers. All-overhyped team of the preseason: White Sox.

Other predictions and notes:
Jim Thome moves into third on the all-time strikeout list, while Sammy Sosa continues his pursuit of Reggie Jackson, however, both will retire before attaining that level.

As for another potential candidate for the crown, Adam Dunn will pass the 1100 strikeout mark (that is, have over 173 strikeouts).

As for my annual "how many players will pass Babe Ruth on the all-time strikeout list," this year's answer is five. Write it down.

One final strikeout prediction: Alex Rodriguez will set a new career high (140+).

Barry Bonds will rebound from last season and have a good year. I could see him breaking Aaron's record by the All Star break, but I'll play it safer on my prediction and say by the end of July. I'll go with 600 doubles by the all-star break, and 2,000 RBI by the end of August (those, of course, being career numbers). Some have mentioned that he has a chance to crack 3,000 hits this season, but that won't happen; he's only reached the 159 total he would need thrice in his career, and not since 1998 (basically, he walks way too much for that). He's talked about playing in 2008, which I really believe he wants to do to reach three numbers: 800 homers, 2296 runs (which would give him sole possession of first place), and 3,000 hits. It would also give him enough RBI's to pass racist Cap Anson's 2076 (there are legends that Anson is the reason blacks were barred from the majors, and, though I don't buy them, I think Bonds might derive some pleasure from beating the total of someone who adamantly refused to take the field with a black man). On a note that cannot be mistaken for "hurray for Bonds" he will pass the 1,500 strikeout mark by Memorial Day. As to swirling rumors about his indictment and the chance that it will keep him from playing/breaking Aaron's record, there's no chance of that. Even if he does get indicted, he posts bail, they set a trial date for after the season (or, at minimum, late in the season). He will not be convicted and thrown in jail before the end of the season, the legal system is incapable of being so efficient. I even have my doubts about them being able to convict him of perjury (if they had such an open-and-shut case on him already, they would have indicted him). Thus concludes the legal analysis portion of my baseball preview and predictions.

Craig Biggio will get the needed six bean balls to set the all time record for most times beaned, and the 70 hits needed for 3,000, and then start spending more time riding the pine. He'll fall short of the 19 homers he needs to join the 300-300 club (whose membership showed rapid growth last year and now includes Barry Bonds, his father, his godfather, two of his former teammates, and Andre Dawson, who probably shared an all-star team with Barry -- I just find the way it all revolves around Barry amusing).

FANTASY

On the fantasy baseball front, I am in the same league as last year (also known as the league I care about), and a couple of public leagues. I predict a repeat victory for me in the one I care about.

Once again, I was required to leave the draft early, though the earlier start time allowed me to stay for an extra round despite the extra person. Once again, the good doctor was left to complete my draft and with the ten remaing picks I got ... four first basemen. I guess that Pujols guy I had already drafted might not be reliable. He did draft me Papelbon right before he got switched back to the closer position, and I leveraged that added value into a trade with the GD for Kazmir. Sucker.

I'm off to a horrible start so far this season with Carpenter, Kazmir, and Zambrano each giving up five runs in their first starts, and Smoltz giving up three, none of them getting the win, plus a team batting average sitting at .160 as of this typing. The only thing keeping me out of last place is the fact that two teams have not had any pitchers play yet, so it ranks me ahead of them in ERA and WHIP. So, really, it puts me at about where I was last year -- perfectly primed to come from behind and assume the lead. Victory shall be mine.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Dr Chemist said...

Hey lets not forget the good doctor got you a 2nd baseman and an outfielder in that draft as well. And, that 5 runs in 5 innings given up to the Yankees? Welcome to Kazmirland.

Tue Apr 03, 07:28:00 AM MST  
Blogger Dr Chemist said...

Also, with that pathetic offense your sporting the best you can do is a distant second to the Good Doctor.

Tue Apr 03, 07:32:00 AM MST  
Blogger DC said...

Looks like somebody rediscovered his password.

Yeah, you got me an Uggla and a Roberts, the latter of which I was quite pleased with, in addition to my requested Bonds. Speaking of Bonds, I expected him to steal a few bases this year, but was a bit surprised to see him do so after his first at bat of the season. He got a bit too into the running game, however, and was tagged out at home trying to score after an error.

Kazmirland was amazingly close to Zambranoland, fairly near to Carpenterland, and not a long drive from Smoltzland over the last couple of days. I'll have my team ERA back below 7.00 by the end of the week.

Also, my pathetic offense will take your pathetic pitching any day of the week.

Tue Apr 03, 02:02:00 PM MST  
Blogger Dr Chemist said...

Yeah I think Bonds got confused with the whole "base running" thing. Most of your pitching is notoriuosly slow starting. They will look good come June

Wed Apr 04, 07:05:00 AM MST  

Post a Comment

<< Home