Name:
Location: Metro Phoenix, Arizona, United States

I'm too lazy to type anything about me. Read my blog and I'm sure you'll eventually learn a few things.

Monday, April 18, 2005

Papal Elections

The Cardinals are meeting at the Vatican to elect a new Pope. Based on recent elections, it's not likely they'll have one today, but they'll probably have one before too long. Sometime in the Wednesday to Friday time range seems likely.

There's some speculation that this next pope will be older upon election (in his 70's, most likely). Some people did not like the length of John Paul II's papacy, so, basically, they want someone who will die sooner. Though, as an aside, there are extremely few Cardinals as young as he was when he was elected. And I think there's only one who's as young as the three Cardinals who voted in the election (I'd prefer to make this sound less political, but I think you all know what I mean) of John Paul II and are voting on this next pope were during the previous election (note: Cardinals who have reached the age of 80 may not vote on the next Pope (Ecuador's Cardinal turned 80 in March, so he barely missed out), so all three of those Cardinals had been under 54).

There's lots of buzz around Ratzinger becoming the next pope. He was previously bishop of Munich, but has been working at the Vatican for around 20 years, I think. Quite awhile, anyways. He's currently Dean of the College of Cardinals, and he led John Paul II's funeral. I forget the title of his current position in the Church, but it has something to do with making sure all the Catholics are following the right theology.

There's also been speculation that the next pope would not be from Europe. Some contendors outside of Europe include Cardinal Arinze of Nigeria, Cardinals Bergoglio of Argentina, Cardinal Diaz of India, and Cardinal Pell of Australia. There's especially been buzz about an African (esp. Nigerian) pope.

Back in Europe, a few other contenders are Cardinal Scola of Venice (if they go back to an Italian pope), and Cardinal Schoenborn of Vienna. You know, the more names I list, the more likely it will be that I can point back and say "See, I told you that guy could be the next pope," but I think I'll leave it at that.

Currently, 77 votes are needed for election (115 are voting, so a two-thirds majority). However, on the twelfth (?) day of voting, they can switch to a bare majority. The vote-counters are saying Ratzinger has 60+ votes right now; should that be true, he has the majority, but not the super-majority. His supporters could just be sticks in the mud and keep with him until only a majority was needed, if it came to that (I doubt such a thing would happen). Vote counts vary, but most agree that he has at least 40 supporters (which would block anyone else from the first ballot, at least). Ratzinger even has his own
fan club.

Alright, that's it for now on the papal elections. Hopefully, they don't choose one in the next few minutes and make me look dumb for saying it wouldn't happen today.


Update: The Cardinals might not vote today, is what I've heard, which could push back the process a bit (though I still say there should be a new pope by Friday).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home