Name:
Location: Metro Phoenix, Arizona, United States

I'm too lazy to type anything about me. Read my blog and I'm sure you'll eventually learn a few things.

Thursday, March 13, 2008

This, That, and the Other

Saturday Night Live had an excellent take on Hillary's 3am phone call ad.

The LA Times reported that a California court of appeals ruled that parents could not homeschool their children if they lacked teaching credentials. Fortunately, according to Ace of Spades, that is not true, that home-schooling parents can classify themselves as a private school. I'm no expert on the matter, but I think I trust AoS over LAT. Still, it might not be a bad idea for the state legislature to clear the matter up.

A Norwegian museum director has claimed to find drawings of Disney characters by Adolf Hitler.

Deep water creatures interest me. Some new ones have been found near Antarctica.

A case of the headline saying more than the results of the actual study, people act like sheep. It says large crowds walking will follow a small minority, but the participants in the study were instructed to remain within arm's length of another person at all times. Remove that requirement, and I imagine the results would collapse.

The story of Jasper Maskelyn, a stage magician who was instrumental in aiding the British in Africa in World War II.

Lincoln portrait made from pennies.

A sixteen-year-old girl from Argentina has given birth to her second set of female triplets. The first came when she was fifteen, and she had a son at fourteen. Having seven kids before turning seventeen is pretty impressive, I must say. It appears that she is not married.

There's talk about moving stars to form shapes -- and not just so that Fry can express his love for Leela.

I've seen four-way chess and 3-D chess, but this was my first look at three-way chess.

LEGO has released a catalogue of every set they've ever produced.

A woman was pried off a toilet seat she'd sat on for two years. One of those things that make you ask why.

A Colorado school district has dropped the grade system -- both in terms of letter grades and grade levels. While I've long maintained that there have been problems in both areas, this does not strike me as a good idea, at least insofar as I doubt it will be well implemented. I could see it working in theory, with students who are motivated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home