Name:
Location: Metro Phoenix, Arizona, United States

I'm too lazy to type anything about me. Read my blog and I'm sure you'll eventually learn a few things.

Thursday, January 31, 2008

News from Arizona's Congressional Delegation

As pointed out in my last post, one member is poised to be a major-party presidential nominee, but I thought I'd point out what else is going on with members of Congress.

In a case of giving credit where credit is due, I'll applaud my congressman (Harry Mitchell-D) for co-sponsoring (with Ron Paul) legilsation that would block Congressional pay raises.

Sen. Jon Kyl (aka our good senator) is voting against the ridiculous "stimulus" bill in Congress. While I will like the extra money (lousy government, taking too much of my money), it requires economic illiteracy to believe that this is an effective stimulant for the economy. It would be much better to cut tax rates.

My former congressman, Jeff Flake (R- AZ6), tried for a seat on the Appropriations Committee. He wouldn't fit in with many members of that committee, as he's strongly anti-pork and pro-small government.

Congressman Rick Renzi (R-AZ1) is retiring. His district is one of the more competitive in the state; he's never received 60% of the vote, and failed to even win 50% in his first election (which he won with the vote cplit about 49-46-5 R-D-L). Interesting side note: the twelve children he has with his wife Roberta are the most for any current member of congress, and their names all begin with R. On the plus side, in theory, with John McCain as the Republican presidential nominee, Republicans should have an easier time holding onto this seat and possible recapturing seats in districts 5 and 8. Of course, this is dependent on such things as actually recruiting candidates to run for those seats

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home