Name:
Location: Metro Phoenix, Arizona, United States

I'm too lazy to type anything about me. Read my blog and I'm sure you'll eventually learn a few things.

Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Random stuff

William Jefferson won reelection to the House of Representatives from Louisiana's second district. This proves, once again, that scandal-plagued Republicans get kicked out of office while scandal-plagued Democrats as long as they can escape conviction.

I recently obtained the first three volumes of Looney Tunes Golden Collection. As amusing as they are, what's interested me most is seeing the copyright dates and realizing just how old many of them are. I also recently purchased Police Squad!, the extremely short-lived television series precursor of the Naked Gun movies; I've watched four of the six episodes so far.

I'm currently reading Without Remorse by Tom Clancy; it seems to offer an interesting suggestion if we ever want to get series about the war on drugs .... Purchased alongside that book was Who's Better, Who's Best in Baseball by Elliot Kalb; an interesting book ranking his top 75 baseball players of all time with a short chapter devoted to each, and a chapter at the end devoted to numbers 76-100. I've skipped around a bit so far, flipping through it and reading a few entries that caught my eye. I also recently finished reading all the Peanuts comics from 1958 (on to 1959-1962 for that series), and a bunch of Zits comics, plus purchased a Get Fuzzy collection. Lots of reading going on, not much of it very serious (at least, that of it which is in book form).

The mainstream media do not seem much interested in Jimmy Carter's plagiarism. It was once a serious enough charge to sink Sen. Joseph Biden's (D-Delaware) presidential ambitions (in 1988; they're renewed for 2008). A gif file can be found on this page overlaying the map in his book with the original image, along with links to more on the story.

Traffic is a lot worse going in to work at 6pm than at my accustomed hour. It doesn't help that both work sites are located near malls. Traffic leaving at 6am is also worse. Well, at least my work week ends at midnight tonight, and I'll have Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday off for what I think is my longest weekend since my last vacation (though it will only be half an hour longer than a couple of weekends that were more recent).

The UPS man arrived just before I left for work last night, delivering my latest Amazon package, and putting the majority of the Christmas presents I intend to give out within my possession. Still need to get something for all three of my grandparents. Sure, they'd appreciate stuff like McDonald's gift certificates, but I like something that shows a little more thought, or perhaps just more variety. My grandfather once got about $50 in McD's gift certificates for Christmas; I was somewhat surprised to learn this Thanksgiving that there existed a time when he was not fond of the place (leery of trying it, that is).

A recent Gallup poll showed that Americans believed Mark McGwire should be in the Hall of Fame by a 57-35 margin, while the split on Barry Bonds is 48-44. This makes little sense to me as Bonds is inarguably the better player, and, while nobody accuses Bonds of using steroids before the late 1990's (usually 1999), the accusations against McGwire seem to be more that his entire career was steroid-enhanced. Still, it doesn't look like McGwire has the votes to be elected, at least this time around. I'll get around to posting my hypothetical Hall of Fame ballot at some point.

What's up with non-Christmas music being counted as such? On the all-Christmas music station, I've heard Linus and Lucy being played, and, while it's a good song and it did appear on A Charlie Brown Christmas, it is not a Christmas song. Also, as I recall, Let it Snow never mentions Christmas, only snow, which somehow makes it a Christmas song. Same with the similar Baby, It's Cold Outside and with other songs I can't now recall. Dan Fogelberg's Same Old Lang Syne mentions Christmas Eve in passing, but is not really a Christmas song. I mean, by that logic, Brick by Ben Folds Five (which involves a girl having an abortion, though not explicitly mentioned in the lyrics) mentions the day after Christmas and should be included as a Christmas song as well. My Favorite Things is also not a Christmas song. Perhaps it's better to hear these than some horrible covers of some of the more familiar (and actual) Christmas songs, but it still greatly irritates me that they are classified as such.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home