Name:
Location: Metro Phoenix, Arizona, United States

I'm too lazy to type anything about me. Read my blog and I'm sure you'll eventually learn a few things.

Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Quick Picks

No time for my regular season recap at the moment, just a quick mention of my picks for the first round of the playoffs. Hopefully, I do better than last year, when I picked every division series wrong (I did manage to pick the Cardinals in both the NLCS and World Series, though).

Cubs over Diamondbacks
Phillies over Rockies
Yankees over Indians
Angels over Red Sox

It was pretty impressive to see Rob Neyer refer to the Cubs as the National League favorites in his chat yesterday. I don't think they've been called that in awhile. Notably, though, they were by no means the overwhelming favorites. Still, I'm taken with the idea of the Cubs winning the World Series on the 100th anniversary of their first World Series win. Why not, I'll go with Cubs over Yankees as my World Series pick. And if Alex Rodriguez tries to relive the Babe Ruth called-shot at Wrigley, he will meet with embarrassing results.

Great play-in game for the Padres and Rockies, I wish I could have watched it on television. I was pulling for the blown save by Hoffman, but I wanted the game to continue a few more innings rather than end there. I had no strong feelings one way or the other as far as who won, I was just rooting for a memorable game. Did anyone else notice that the winning pitcher's ERA was over 7.50? Is that some kind of record for a playoff-berth-clinching game? This was definitely the most dramatic one game playoff in my lifetime, surpassing Cubs-Giants in 1998 (though I was more interested in that game).

Update: Just saw the ESPN picks, and seven of the twenty writers picked the Cubs to win the National League (including my two favorite writers, Neyer and Jason Stark), though only Stark picked them to win the World Series (over the Red Sox). Eight picked the Phillies, and five picked the Rockies (yes, none picked the Diamondbacks). There were two picks of a Rockies World Series title, five for the Yankees, six for the Red Sox, and three each for the Angels and Indians.

If the Cubs, Phillies, Rockies, or Indians win the World Series, that will make eight different champions in the last eight years. How's that for "competitive balance"?

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home